Sunday, January 7, 2007

Survival of the Fittest

Hello everyone, it looks like I'm FINALLY settled here : ) but typical of me not without a few disasters.

Temp: 77 (and its 8:16PM!!!)
Location: New Apt.

So with an hour to go for the taxi I decided to store my luggage at the hotel and wander around on Ocean Dr. as I still had an hour to go. First priority was to find water. As I approached Ocean I couldn't help but head towards the ocean as I am naturally attracted to it being a Cali girl and all. OH to my amazement it was SOO clear. Not at all like dirty, nasty LA beaches where a minute dip causes your skin to burn. The clean, pleasant, breezy beach had blue and white cabana's lined all along the beach and I immediately felt like I was on an island! I went up to the water's edge to discover no seaweed or foamy water, typical of LA. Just nice small, calm clear blue-green waves. Is it just me or am I the luckiest girl in the world. I went back to Ocean to check out the restaurants and stores and to my delight stumbled on Irene Marie's Model Agency, the agency MTV's 8th & Ocean centered on! OHHHHHH look (check out the $$$$ car...)



After checking out some shops I hailed a cab to my potential new roomate. I say potential because in the beginning of our apt. search we decided to live together. When she flew out here to find the apt. Not only did she find overpriced dumps, but she didn't find any 2 bedrooms in my price range. She ended leasing a one bedroom and let me stay until I found my own place. I crossed my fingers that I could persuade her to let me stay as it would cut my costs in half and I hate living alone. SO as we got the cross streets she e-mailed me, the address I wrote down was no where to be found. I freaked for a second and decided to just have the cab driver drop me off at an building numbered 1611 (I wrote 1161 praying hard that I had inverted the numbers). My plan was to try to call up and if she did not answer after 15 min or so I would walk up and down the block to hopefully find the place. WELL as the cab driver took out my suitcase all its contents spilled to the floor. Come to find out, I stuffed it to the max and the zipper opened. ARGGGG how was I supposed to walk up and down the street with a broken suitcase. I told the cab driver I would be find and to leave me. I quickly thought i could stuff the suitcase put it in the doorway of the hopefully right apt and pray hard she lived in the building. As I was dialing the apt., no ring. I tried again and again. Then went over and over the directory praying I had gotten the apt wrong too when I hear a voice from the second floor calling my name. AM I THE LUCKIEST GIRL IN THE WORLD I THOUGHT. My potential roomate Amy helped me pull up my luggage and they welcomed me into the apt. with a glass of wine.

The reported on how "furnished" apt mean't a bed, a futon, a coffee table and a dining table with three chairs with nothing else. Amy continued that she ended up furnishing pretty much the entire apt. She then relayed that the ideal living situation would be for me to find an apt in the building so that we could walk to school together. Disappointed and stressed I left a msg for the property manager in hopes there would be no apts. available. Amy told me she didnt like roommates and I was even more dissapointed. We left to go shopping to finish furnishing the apt. and to stock up on a few things. As we went shopping, she started warming up to the idea of me living me there. Her only concern was that she didn't want all my stuff laying across the floor, as there was no closets. We fixed that easy by buying shelves and drawers and she agreed to be my roomie. YAY!!!!
Here is our apt. below. Check out my plant named Fernando : )






SO less than a block away from our apt is a street just like 3rd Street Promenade but longer and wider with tons of great restaurants with awesome deals. We've already found a pizza place that between 5:30PM - 7:00PM they offer this great deal called "Beat The Clock." Depeding on what time you get there, lets say 5:45PM, thats what you end up paying for your pizza and beer. SO you get a 6 slice pizza and a 24oz. beer for $5.45!!!! The earlier you get there the cheaper it is. Next great deal was a bar that sold imported bottled and beer on tap for $3. The end of Lincoln Road Mall (South Beach's version of 3rd St leads you to the beach. Not complaining about anything yet : )

No comments: